Click on the following to find out more about Fair Trade with Llamarama:
All trading relationships are in line with the principles of fair trade as defined by FINE ( Fair Trade Labeling Oranisation, WFTO, Network of European World Shops, and European Fair Trade Association), namely a trading partnership based on dialogue, transparency and respect, that seeks greater equity in international trade. It contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading conditions to, and securing the rights of, marginalized producers and workers – especially in the South.
WFTO prescribes 10 standards that Fair Trade organizations must follow in their day-to-day work. Llamarama subscribes to these standards:
- Creating opportunities for economically disadvantaged producers. Fair Trade is a strategy for poverty alleviation and sustainable development. Its purpose is to create opportunities for producers who have been economically disadvantaged or marginalized by the conventional trading system.
- Transparency and accountability. Fair Trade involves transparent management and commercial relations to deal fairly and respectfully with trading partners.
- Capacity building. Fair Trade is a means to develop producers’ independence. Fair Trade relationships provide continuity, during which producers and their marketing organizations can improve their management skills and their access to new markets.
- Promoting Fair Trade. Fair Trade Organizations raise awareness of Fair Trade and the possibility of greater justice in world trade. They provide their customers with information about the organization, the products, and in what conditions they are made. They use honest advertising and marketing techniques and aim for the highest standards in product quality and packing.
- Payment of a fair price. A fair price in the regional or local context is one that has been agreed through dialogue and participation. It covers not only the costs of production but enables production which is socially just and environmentally sound. It provides fair pay to the producers and takes into account the principle of equal pay for equal work by women and men. Fair Traders ensure prompt payment to their partners and, whenever possible, help producers with access to pre-harvest or pre-production financing.
- Gender Equity. Fair Trade means that women’s work is properly valued and rewarded. Women are always paid for their contribution to the production process and are empowered in their organizations.
- Working conditions. Fair Trade means a safe and healthy working environment for producers. The participation of children (if any) does not adversely affect their well-being, security, educational requirements and need for play and conforms to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child as well as the law and norms in the local context.
- Child Labour. Fair Trade Organizations respect the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, as well as local laws and social norms in order to ensure that the participation of children in production processes of fairly traded articles (if any) does not adversely affect their well-being, security, educational requirements and need for play. Organizations working directly with informally organised producers disclose the involvement of children in production.
- The environment. Fair Trade actively encourages better environmental practices and the application of responsible methods of production.
- Trade Relations. Fair Trade Organizations trade with concern for the social, economic and environmental well-being of marginalized small producers and do not maximise profit at their expense. They maintain long-term relationships based on solidarity, trust and mutual respect that contribute to the promotion and growth of Fair Trade. An interest free pre payment of at least 50% is made if requested.
- Handmade high quality products
- Care for people, care for the planet
- Fair prices for producers & customers
- Unique designs
- New markets
- Ethical shopping made easy
- Transparency and trade justice
Llamarama is a fair trade organisation. We exist to provide opportunities for small scale enterprises to bring their products to market. Fair trade reminds us that trade is about people, their livelihoods, their communities, not just profit. Llamarama is committed to improving people’s lives and reducing poverty through trade. For Llamarama fair trade includes everyone in the supply chain, reaching back to the people who farmed or mined the raw material, as well as those who gave the product its form and shape.
We are fair trade experts. Our unique skillset comes from a thorough understanding of the ethical and fair trade markets in the UK and expertise in working with both artisans and workers in less developed countries.
Dedicated to trade justice and raising awareness of fair trade. Our trading partnerships are based on dialogue, transparency and respect. In addition to working with small artisanal family businesses, Llamarama is committed to supporting social enterprises that provide skills and business training as well as support, rehabilitation and employment opportunities to people on the fringes of Peruvian society. Through offering design support and a market for products, Llamarama goes beyond merely paying a fair price but also offers a financial lifeline to exceptional social projects. Our aim is to help more people to help themselves, to be a catalyst for financial independence, and to support the establishment and development of other small enterprises.
Passionate about protecting our planet and this shapes every aspect of our business, from using natural fibres and dyes, to being a member of an ethical bank in the UK, to sourcing 100% recycled post-consumer waste packaging, to working with a innovative environmental printing company that use waterless printing processes that minimize the environmental impact.
Celebrating craftsmanship and small enterprise, Llamarama maintains traditional production methods, keeping operations small and manageable and supports distinct cultures, customs and norms. By using natural products as far as possible and supporting investment in environmentally sound production, Llamarama helps keep the benefits of trade within the communities we work with, using global trade to improve lives.